Mar 3, 2011

The Internet Loves Cats

I first saw this ad for a British dairy on a blog I read. Then I saw it on another blog. Then my friend shared it on Facebook. Now, the original video has more than 300,000 views on YouTube. All for a dairy that I've never heard of.

The marketing team behind the ad has also developed a spinoff Facebook page for the ad's main character, Bertrum Thumbcat. I liked it and I think I'll keep wanting to read Bertrum's updates because they're actually funny, especially if you like cats.

Neither the ad nor the Facebook presence has anything overtly to do with milk. They don't tell you that milk is good for you, or that Cravendale's milk is tastier or fresher than any other. They're just silly fun.

Despite (or perhaps because of) this, the campaign has garnered a lot of positive attention for Cravendale. By tapping into a popular web meme and creating silly copy with only a tangential relationship to the product, they have struck marketing gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment